Email marketing needs to be relevant to your target market. After you covered the basics of email marketing and sent your first email campaigns to generate brand awareness, think about personalising the communication to add more value to your customers. Here’s how.
Segment Your Email Lists
One goal in email marketing is to increase your email list or subscriber count. At first, you want to increase that number and generate a sizeable lead audience.
However, once your initial target is achieved, your company may have multiple offers to promote and to serve the needs of various markets.
Sending regular emails to the entire list with the same content may become too general or irrelevant for some customers, which may lead to unsubscribing. Here’s what to do instead:
- Segment your email list to target customers based on their preferences, product selection, market, or location.
- Promote relevant content for each email list segment.
- When new customers opt-in to your email list, offer them a selection of categories they are interested in and create email segments for that specific category.
- Ensure that users can choose more categories and interests, which means they can opt-in on multiple campaigns.
Think Custom Content
If the email marketing content is not relevant to a specific audience, subscribers are likely to mark it as spam, delete it or unsubscribe. Once you have segmented the audience based on preferences and interests, add value to the customer through personalised messaging.
Customising the sender with a personal note, e.g. “Hello, John.” is non-negotiable. While most marketers are doing it, they can still overlook other opportunities to build a more personal connection with the customer, improve engagement and increase sales.
- Suggest products and services based on previous purchases.
- Provide a FAQ to address specific concerns based on their feedback if available.
- Consider asking for feedback and suggestions to improve the customer experience.
- If you have a blog with great content, share links to relevant articles and resources to add more value to your communication.
Personalising email marketing campaigns ensures customers see the content relevant to them and engage with your brand where and when it matters to them. Do the groundwork, learn what works for your customers, and adjust when necessary. As your business grows, you will get a better idea of subscriber interests and custom content for email marketing.
If you’re looking for an email marketing campaign that will set you apart from the competition, contact Digital Cloud today.