Timing is Everything in Social Media
Social media is all about reach, especially reaching the right target audience. Research has shown that different social media platforms have different peak times where traffic is at its highest. It makes sense that you should make use of this, so let’s examine the best times to publish your blogs and get the maximum exposure.
Knowing when your audience is tuning in and ready for your message is crucial to any social media marketing blogger. These are the pros and cons for posting at different peak times.
Social media marketing is the process of reaching prospects and customers, and acquiring traffic and visibility through social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and many others. By utilizing the social aspect of the web, social media marketing is able to connect and interact on a much more personalized and dynamic level than through traditional marketing.
Here are some interesting demographics to help you decide when id the best time to blog.
High-activity times (daytime)
- More visitors
- More comments and engagement
- Potentially more extensive organic reach with reposts
- Content gets lost in the noise from high traffic volume
- Competition from other blogs
- Higher bounce rate because of high noise levels
Low-activity times (night time)
- Less noise leads to more exposure
- Better odds of staying on front page
- Fewer visitors
- Fewer comments and engagement
- Smaller organic reach with reposts
Statistics have proven that people are more likely to read blogs in the morning (around 70%) although most users agree that they read blogs throughout the day.
In fact, it seems that you need to have a very strong identity of your potential blog reader in mind as you prepare you blog posts: if you know your target market, you will more easily identify with them and therefore be able to more accurately predict their blog access patterns.
In retrospect, some interesting blogs stats:
- The highest percentage of users read blogs in the morning.
- A higher percentage of men read blogs in the evening and at night.
- The average blog gets the most traffic on Monday.
- The average blog gets the most traffic around 11am in the morning.
- The average blog gets the most comments on Saturday.
- The average blog gets the most inbound links on Monday and Thursday.
- The average blog gets the most inbound links in early morning.
While it seems that timing plays a significant role in the organic reach of a blog, the quality of the content remains the important role-player.