We all want that coveted top spot on the Google search page. But as they say: There can be only ONE.
So how do you get to the top? First we need to understand what search engine optimisation (SEO) is.
When you type in search words or phrases, Google links the search with pages containing these key words and phrases. The pages relevant to your search then appear in the search results.
But how does Google decide who gets to be at the top?
When you do a Google search, Google promotes authority pages to the top of the rating. Authority pages, as the name suggests, are pages deemed as thought leaders with content that is of the highest quality and integrity. You need to ensure that your page is an authority page: write content that people find useful – this means they will share it on blogs, Facebook feeds, Twitter, etc. Your page then becomes a credible authority page; Google will pick up on these authority signals and you’ll move up in the rankings, in turn more people will see your page, visit it and increase its authority – creating the perfect circle!
SEO or search engine optimisation is the name of the process used to optimise a website’s content, structure and quality in order to improve its organic visibility in search engines. SEO includes a number of processes such as keyword research, content development, site speed optimisation, structured title and description creation and improved website architecture.
What can you do to have the best SEO?
- Start today – you don’t want your competitors to get a head start!
- Pick a strategy that suits your company – there is no one-size-fits-all solution.
- Create killer content that carries weight and has integrity.
- Be patient if your website is still young; older sites get better rankings.
- Be patient in any case – SEO takes time to show results, sometimes even months.
- Keep updating and improving your website to keep attracting visitors and make more sales.
- Stay up to date with algorithm updates and adjust your strategy accordingly.
- Create content that is engaging and make visitors spend more time on your site. Higher viewing times improve rankings.
- Don’t create content for search engines, create it for people. Visitors can tell the difference and will stay away.
- Create videos – this is a great way not only to attract visitors to your site but also to make them stay longer!